Saturday 18 July 2015

When Home Gardening Means Harvesting Your Own Food Supply

     Today when homes have lesser spaces for gardens and greens, living in a single detached home can be a blessing. Honestly, I never do any gardening whatsoever in my life apart from helping my parents to water the plants in late afternoons. I never truly appreciate gardening in the way that my parents do until my mother cooked us dinner where one of the dishes contains some spicy ingredients. She later told us that the spicy chilly flavor was outsourced from our very own home garden! From now on, my mother have one less food cost to worry about.  

     Whenever there are opportunities to visit some countries, she is eager to bring samples of some plants from there and bring it home and plant them in our home garden. There are chilies, tomatoes, pomegranate and also grape vines. If I remember correctly, pomegranate came from Saudi Arabia, the chillies are outsourced locally (Malaysia) and the tomatoes came from Sweden. I was skeptical at first because some of the plants may only grow in certain climate and may not survive the hot and humid tropical climate, like what we do have here 365 days a year in Malaysia. With practically nothing to do on a Saturday afternoon, I took my camera and shot some photos of plants my mother planted at our home garden.

 Purple coloured chillies, very spicy according to my mother.

 Light coloured chillies.

 A pot of daisies.

 Grape vines

 Red chillies

 Beautiful purplish flowers

 
 A tomato

 A pomegranate

 
 The overall view of our backyard garden.

 The best time to sit is actually in the early mornings and evenings.

 Our living room is just right next to the garden.

Let start growing our own food in the garden and save extra Ringgits and Sens!

No comments:

Post a Comment